Friends of Northwest Park
Windsor, Connecticut's Hidden Gem!
473 Acres of Trails and Natural Beauty
12 Miles of Trails, Maple Sugaring, Coffeehouse Concerts, Country Fair, and More...
Events and Programs for the Whole Family!
The Friends of Northwest Park
About the Friends
The Friends of Northwest Park is a volunteer, non-profit corporation formed in 1981 to play a leading role in the development of a nature center at Northwest Park. The Friends’ original mission of supporting development of the Nature Center has expanded to include support for Northwest Park as a whole.
The Friends’ fundraising efforts have received broad based community support from individuals, civic groups, foundations, businesses and corporations. In partnership with the Town of Windsor, the Friends support Park and Nature Center programs, operations and development. Raising over $800,000 since its incorporation, the Friends contributions include:
- Support for the Nature Center’s geothermal heating and cooling system
- Nature Center furnishings, science equipment, canoes, and a mobile planetarium
- Financial support for exhibit development and environmental items
- Financial support for environmental interns, education research and programming
- Annual financial support for the Youth Conservation Corps.
- Funding for environmental education programs through grants to schools from the Libby & Gordon Taylor Scholarship Fund, managed by the Friends.
The Friends annual community events include the Country Fair and the March Pancake Breakfast which culminates the maple sugaring season. The Friends also host the annual Coffeehouse concert series.
The Board of Trustees meets regularly and the Friend’s general membership meet for their annual meeting in June. Committees, all of which need volunteers, include: Finance, membership, newsletter, program & publicity, Country Fair and Pancake Breakfast. Volunteers for all committees and events are always welcome.
Your membership in the Friends of Northwest Park is a statement of your support for Northwest Park and the Nature Center. For those Friends who are to become active on committees, we invite participation at all levels. Project involvement is certainly not required in your membership, but is available and encouraged.
In addition to having the satisfaction of supporting an outstanding Park and Nature Center, membership dues entitle you to the following benefits:
- A subscription to the Friends Newsletter, produced by the Friends and Park staff, including current program information, educational articles and news about the Friends, volunteers, special events and Park activities.
- Discounts on Friends sponsored events
- Invitation to complimentary “Members Only” programs and social events at Northwest Park.
- Invitation to Friends sponsored field trips.
- Friends of Northwest Park decal.
- Life membership option
Become a part of the tradition and future of the Friends of Northwest Park. Membership dues are an important source of financial support for the work of the Friends. The membership and fiscal year of the Friends is July 1 to June 30. Memberships are renewed during July.
We welcome you to join there Friends of Northwest Park. Aside from helping sustain this wonderful facility and receiving news about park events, Friends receive $2 off the price of concert tickets!
Membership categories are as follows:
- Individual Membership – $25
- Family Membership – $40
- Patron – $100
- Life Membership – $500
To join, select the membership category, primary interest area, email, and phone./ You’ll be directed to the Pay Pal page:
To join, select the information below and you’ll be directed to the Pay Pal page. Then we’ll be in touch with you!
Board of Trustees of The Friends of Northwest Park
(Term goes through Annual Meeting of year indicated.)
Ayse Adams (2020)
Christian Alford (2021)
Brian Bosch (2020) (Co-Secretary)
Lisa Bress (2020)
Joe Canning (2021)
Maureen Canning (Co-secretary)
Thomas Church (2020)
Thomas F.Cronin (2022)
Chuck Drake (2021) (Vice President)
Ruth Fahrbach (2022)
David Gillette (2022)
Terry Langevin (2022) (President)
Randy Lee (2021)
Dawn Morgan (2020)
Richard Niederwerfer (2021)
Roger Nolte (2019)
Lon Pelton (2021)
Debbie Reimer (2021)
Bill Schoner (2022)
Mary Sopelak (2022)
- Upcoming 2020 Meeting of the Friends Trustees (in the Nature Center at 7 pm unless otherwise noted):
- Board of Trustees – Thursday, September 3, 2020, 7:00pm
- Board of Trustees – Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 7:00pm
- Board of Trustees – Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 7:00pm
All members and guests of the Friends are welcome at Trustees Meetings